Wednesday, February 28, 2007

To the Family of George Spears, Sr.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006:
I wrote this on this day to honor your dad, husband, uncle, brother, grandpa, and friend. To let you know that I, too, had a father whom I cherished and who is now in the spirit world with all our other relatives. I wish I could be there with you during this time of your loss and grief. I do not have much but I humbly offer you my one gift, which I can give generously to all, and that is my gift of written words...




FOR YOUR FATHER, GEORGE SPEARS, SR.

I did not know your father
At least, not in the way that you did.

I did not see the ways that he raised you
With great care, love, and good humor.

I was not there when he corrected you,
If you had misbehaved…and you can’t say you didn’t.

I did not hear the encouraging words he had to offer
To comfort you and guide you through all times.

I did not feel his warmth nor gentle hand
That held yours securely in a loving grip.

I did not witness any of these things that he has done for you,
His children, whom he has loved more than anything else.

Yet I know that what your father carried out,
Was done with the best of intent.

I know that your father lived life thoroughly,
With a generosity of heart and essence.

I know that your father lived with an integrity of being,
That few people in this world have the courage to live by.

I witnessed all that your father was capable of doing for young people,
When he ran with us in the Honor the Youth Spiritual Run.

But what I want you to know the most is that your father has touched
my own life and has inspired me to believe...

That there are such people in this world
Who are unafraid to give the best of themselves…each and every day.

And with utmost respect, I thank you for sharing your father with all of us,
We were indeed blessed by this gift.

Miigwitch, Wibthahon, Thank you and All My Relations!

Your Relative,

Renee New Holy
Omaha Nation

No comments: